Mason Jar Salads

I have had a TON of requests to post the recipe for Mason Jar Salads, so here it is.  In the interest of full disclosure, it is really more of a method than a recipe.  I pack up 10 of them every Sunday for my husband and I to take to work for lunches.  The great thing is, they are just as fresh on Friday as they are on Sunday! 



First, you will need Mason jars.  You can usually find them in the grocery store either in the baking section or by the food storage items.  Wide mouth containers work the best as it is easier to get your ingredients into and out of the jar.  Now, onto the method.

The first thing you should put in your jar is salad dressing.  I usually make my own, that way I can control what ingredients go into my dressing.  A simple vinaigrette is good.  I love Dijon mustard vinaigrette because it still has a creamy element to it, but it is lower fat.  You don't need a lot of dressing.  A little will go a long way. 

After the salad dressing, you add your heartier vegetables.  I love to add my cucumbers in first because they marinate in the dressing and become pickled.  I love pickles.  Other veggies you can put in this layer are carrots, grape or cherry tomatoes, peppers, celery... I think you get the picture. 

When I am done with my hearty veggies, I will then usually add a layer of garbanzo beans, white beans, whole wheat pasta or cheese.  You could also add some chicken breast in this layer for protein.


Finally, top off the jar with your lettuce.  Some great choices are spinach, romaine, spring mix, arugula... really whatever lettuce floats your boat.  The only caveat I will add here is that you really should choose something other than iceburg lettuce.  Iceburg lettuce has very little nutritional value.  If you really hate ALL other lettuces and MUST use iceburg, I will not judge.


When you are ready to eat your delicious, healthy salad, simply shake the jar to distribute the dressing, then pour it out on a plate or into a bowl and enjoy (it is really hard to eat it straight out of the jar).  See, easy-peasy!

Note:  If you are following the 21 Day Fix Eating Plan, simply use your portion control containers to measure out your ingredients as you put them in the jar.  Then use those portions in your daily tally.

Comments

Popular Posts