Dance Like Nobody's Watching

This past weekend, I danced in a dance recital.  Thousands upon thousands of people dance in dance recitals every year, so why is this such a big deal?  Because I am 38 years old, and I was the oldest dancer in the recital. 

One thing I realized as I was preparing to dance was that only the older teenagers and adults were the least bit nervous.  My eight year old daughter was also dancing in the same recital, and she admitted that she was a "little" nervous, but mostly excited.  I was not excited.  Not one bit.  I felt like throwing up. 

This got me to thinking back on when I was a kid.  I started dancing at 3 years old.  I have always loved to dance.  I remember the anticipation leading up to performances and the joy I felt during and after the performance.  What happened to that joy?



Unfortunately, somewhere in our teens, we actually start to care what other people think of us.  We become self-conscious, afraid of judgment, certain that we won't measure up.  We let these feelings of fear and inadequacy rob us of the things that bring us joy.  Why do we allow that to happen?

I have made a conscious decision that from here on out, I am literally going to dance like nobody's watching.  I am going to find the joy and fulfillment in doing something that I love, and not be concerned with what other people will think of me. I am not as good of a dancer as I was 20 years ago, but that's ok!  I feel pretty good about the fact that I am almost 40 years old and still able to pursue my passions.  I am fit enough to leap and twirl.  I may not execute every move perfectly, but does that really matter?

What passions in your life have you put on the backburner because of fear?  What joys have you let other people's perceptions steal from you?  Let's stop letting other people deprive us of the things that make us happy.  Stop getting in your own way.  Don't hold yourself back.  Get out of your head and just DO the things that delight your spirit.

Comments

  1. You were beautiful and you did great. The one thing I love most about dance is when you just stop worrying and just let it be about you, it is always beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts