Healthy Baked Chicken Parmesan with Spaghetti Squash

Let me paint a picture for you:  It was the end of the school year.  I hadn't been to the grocery store in a week, it was near the end of our paycheck, and I had to come up with something for dinner.  It was not pretty.  I came up with this recipe using ingredients I had on hand, and I have to say, it was a WINNER.  The kids gobbled it up and asked for seconds!  I must be Super Mom, right?  NO, you can do it too! Here's how:

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (thawed if previously frozen.  In my case they were ALMOST thawed, because, hey, what can I say?  Preplanning is not my gift. Did I mention it was the end of the school year? Moving on...)
1 jar all natural (preferably organic) marinara sauce
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
4 slices of fresh mozzarella cheese
1 spaghetti squash

Place 4 chicken breasts in a baking dish.  Cover the chicken with sauce, sprinkle with parmesan cheese, and place one mozzarella slice on each piece of chicken. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 30-45 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink.



In the meantime, you should also prepare your spaghetti squash.  Cut the spaghetti squash in half (which takes quite a lot of muscle, but that's why we're working out, right?) and scoop out the seeds.  Now, you have two options.  I like to roast my spaghetti squash in the oven because it gets all carmelized and yummy, but if you are in a time crunch, you can pop it in the microwave.  Just poke some holes in the skin of the squash, then place the halves cut side down in your baking dish.  Bake it in the oven for about 45 minutes at 375 degrees or microwave with about 1/4 cup water for about 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of your squash.



Scoop the squash out and place it on your plates.  Then put the chicken and some sauce on top of the spaghetti squash.  There you have it!  You are a master chef and Super Mom, the official savior of dinner!

Comments

Popular Posts